It doesn’t rain in Austin much, but when it does, there’s still plenty to do inside! Here’s some popular things to do in Austin when it rains.
When it Rains… Do Something Weird
Visit one of Austin’s curious and unique indoor attractions to stay out of the rain!
- The Eureka Room: Experience the one-of-kind fun, weird, funny, and participatory programs of local IRL Experience Designer Mike Michaels.
- Museum of the Weird – Check out this quirky museum featuring oddities, monsters, and other strange artifacts. You never know what you’ll find!
- Curia Arcanum – Explore the enchanting shop filled with spell books, oddities, and other mystical treasures.
Visit Austin Museums
Stay dry and explore Austin’s rich cultural offerings at one of the city’s many museums.
- Blanton Museum of Art: Explore an extensive collection of art from around the world, including works from Europe, Latin America, and the United States.
- Bullock Texas State History Museum: Discover the history and culture of Texas through interactive exhibits, artifacts, and multimedia presentations.
- Texas Memorial Museum: Learn about the natural history of Texas and beyond, with exhibits on paleontology, geology, and biodiversity.
Watch a Movie in a Local Theater
Escape the rain and immerse yourself in a good movie at one of Austin’s many movie theaters.
- Alamo Drafthouse: Enjoy a unique movie-watching experience with food, drinks, and themed events at this iconic Austin theater chain.
- Violet Crown Cinema: Catch a screening of the latest independent, foreign, and documentary films in a comfortable and intimate setting.
- Paramount Theatre: Experience classic films, live performances, and special events at this historic theater in downtown Austin.
Visit an Austin Spa
Forget the cloudy day and treat yourself to a relaxing spa day.
- Milk + Honey Spa – Indulge in a variety of luxurious treatments, from massages to facials, at this acclaimed Austin spa.
- Viva Day Spa – Relax and rejuvenate with a range of spa services, including massage, facials, and nail treatments, at one of Viva Day Spa’s three Austin locations.
- Lake Austin Spa Resort – Unwind and recharge at this luxurious spa resort located on the shores of Lake Austin, featuring a full range of spa services and wellness programs.
Visit an Austin Brewery or Distillery and Drink Your Rainy Day Away
Take a break from the rain and sample some of Austin’s best local beers and wines at a brewery or winery.
- Jester King Brewery: Sip on unique farmhouse ales and enjoy the scenic views at this rustic brewery and farm located in the Texas Hill Country.
- Nine Banded Distillery – Tour the distillery and learn about the process of making whiskey from start to finish. Sample the various whiskeys on offer, from smooth and rich to bold and spicy.
- Zilker Brewing Company: Enjoy a wide variety of craft beers in a relaxed atmosphere, including IPAs, lagers, and seasonal brews.
Spend a rainy day indulging in some retail therapy at one of Austin’s many shopping destinations.
- The Domain – Shop and dine at this upscale outdoor mall, featuring over 100 retailers and restaurants, including high-end fashion brands and trendy boutiques.
- South Congress Avenue – Explore the eclectic and vibrant South Congress neighborhood, home to a mix of vintage shops, artisan boutiques, and trendy restaurants and bars.
- 2nd Street District – Stroll down this charming downtown street and browse a variety of shops, from fashion and accessories to home decor and gifts.
Go Indoor Rock Climbing
Stay active and challenge yourself with indoor rock climbing, available at several facilities throughout Austin.
- Austin Bouldering Project: Climb walls of various difficulty levels, practice yoga, or lift weights at this state-of-the-art climbing facility.
- Crux Climbing Center: Test your skills on over 22,000 square feet of climbing walls, or try their fitness and yoga classes.
Visit an (Indoor) Austin Art Gallery
Enjoy some of Austin’s most exciting contemporary art at one of the city’s many art galleries.
- Lora Reynolds Gallery – View contemporary art exhibitions and attend special events at this influential gallery located in downtown Austin
- Women & Their Work – See thought-provoking exhibitions and programs that support female artists and their work
- The Contemporary Austin – Experience dynamic and engaging art installations across multiple venues, including the Jones Center and Laguna Gloria
- Wally Workman Gallery – Discover contemporary and traditional art, from painting to sculpture, at this downtown gallery.
- Art on 5th – Explore a diverse collection of art, including contemporary pop art and modern masters, at this gallery in Austin’s westside.
- grayDUCK Gallery – See thought-provoking contemporary art and experimental work by emerging artists at this gallery in south Austin.
Visit an Austin Bookstore or Library
Spend a rainy day immersed in books at one of Austin’s many bookstores or libraries.
- BookPeople – Browse through thousands of books and attend author events and book signings at this beloved independent bookstore
- Austin Public Library – Check out books, audiobooks, and DVDs, or attend a free program or event at one of the many branches throughout Austin
- Recycled Reads – Find gently used books, movies, and music at this unique bookstore run by the Austin Public Library.
Tramp When It’s Damp
Jump, flip, and bounce your way to a fun and active day at one of Austin’s indoor trampoline parks.
- Altitude Trampoline Park – This massive trampoline park features over 30,000 square feet of jumping, dodgeball, and other fun activities.
- Urban Air Adventure Park – With a variety of attractions, from trampolines to zip lines to laser tag, this adventure park has something for everyone.
More Fun Stuff to Do!
Check out the rest of my 250,000+ word blog for more on my thoughts of experience design and things to do in Austin, including: