This was a frustrating day. I attempted to get the two projectors to work together to create one 6′ tall screen. Long story short, I did not and I’m going with just one projector that gets 4′ tall.
There were a couple of hurdles I could not get over. Getting them positioned to where I could cover the entire screen took a while, but proved possible. But adjusting them to line up was extremely hard. The floor is not flat, the screen is not flat or perpendicular, the projectors are hard to perfectly align on top of each other. Yes, there is keystoning but unless the projectors are equidistant from the screen, one is slightly shrunk compared to the other. Figuring out how to do the fixing in Touchdesigner was beyond my ability despite learning a lot more about Touchdesigner.
Let’s say that I did get them to align. Then something moves – the house settles a bit more or expands or contracts due to change of season. Now it’s off again. How hard was it going to be to align them each time?
So let’s assume I could align them each time and I would put up with that hassle over and over. The other issues was that they needed to overlap and fade into each other so it looked seamless. Not once was I able to get it to look seamless. Sure on some stills I could, but change to another still and it would show a line. I tried for hours but could not figure this out.
No matter what I did there was always a horizontal line due to blending and top and bottom never lined up perfectly across the horizon. I think it is possible, but due to time constraints, I’m putting this off until a future where I can figure it out and figure it out in a way that I can fix it as things get bumped, settle, expand, etc.
It’s still going to be an inch or two taller than the last version and hopefully we can figure it out in the future once the Eureka Room starts generating revenue.
Ugh what a frustrating day, though.
Grant was out again today so I was able to take my mind off the physical space and work on some long overdue paperwork. Including my inbox which had piled up to 122 emails – some from a week ago! I have kept an eye out for important ones daily, but as someone that is almost always inbox zero, this was a sign that I had stretched myself far too thin. I was able to get it down to about 20. I also was able to work on a lot of calendar stuff, which had also fallen to the backburner.
The Next Few Days
Some next steps:
- Get the curtains moved over so that Wendy can mark them.
- Move the room an inch forward so we can access the panels better.
- Place the projector in its final spot, on some sort of custom stand.
- Get the front wall designed, including the venting from the AC, the sound system.
- Order the vent part.
There’s also a lot of miscellaneous things to work on, like benches, window sign, etc. Plus updating the programs, installing the sound system, and finishing off the curtains and window coverings.