I didn’t do an update post on Tuesday because not much happened over the three day weekend. I had been working non-stop so took the weekend off. Mostly.
Thursday / Friday
I don’t remember what happened when, but Tal came by and helped with some odds and ends I just wasn’t getting to. Painting the benches (again) and putting on the feet. Hanging the fake window treatments. Touching up the steps. I’m sure some other stuff I’ve already forgotten.
Grant worked more on the acrylic and ran into an issues where some of the sheets wouldn’t fit into the h-channels that connect them. He was going to have to bevel the sides on Monday and the last 2 sheets would not be up. We also discussed the front wall and air vent. I ordered one to arrive over the weekend. I wish I had ordered that sooner, but in most cases I had the parts when we needed them.
Grant moved the curtains (this might have been earlier that week) because I had a miscommunication with Wendy about placement. They look great.
The sign showed up and looked great. Grant knew exactly how to put it up quickly. The man knows how to do everything well. It looks fantastic. I don’t put a lot of photos in these updates because I don’t want too many spoilers for people to accidentally stumble on but here’s a photo of the outside:
I didn’t go down to the room but I did take care of a lot of paperwork at home and also packed up some stuff for returns, including the Bomaker 4k projector (a great projector unless you are one of the people that suffer the so-called rainbow effect like I do. It’s half the price of its competitors). I also decided to hold off on the sound system upgrades for now and returned the receiver and the speakers. Things were just getting too complicated and the sound bar that I have works just fine.
Grant was out today so I worked on setting up my development environment. Which meant doing a lot of math to orient and model the room in Final Cut and TouchDesigner. It turned out really well. Maybe there’s more to these non-trial-and-error techniques than I give credit for…
Grant was back and worked on fitting the acrylic and making the front wall adjustments. He got pretty far on each and says that Thursday we should be able to have them both finished off. Wendy came by and worked on hemming the curtains. I worked on the projection for the front window. I got that set up (though just on the mac, not on its eventually home the raspberry pi) but I didn’t stick around until dark to see if you can make anything out on the other side. Fingers crossed since it would be a great effect.
I attempted to work on adjusting the programs without having the room going, but that was extremely difficult and I suspect I would need to redo stuff when I saw it live anyways so I stopped. The best I could was to start organizing the files I work with and moving into a new 6 Panel environment. I began making backups of everything in the final 4 panel state. I put things on google drive and an external drive and also make a folder on the mac where I can keep them until space gets too limited.
The Days Ahead
I really, really need to get this open. So I’m pushing the lobby decorations into phase 2, and the actual rear projection screen on the front window. The gift shop has been in phase 2 for a while. The website updates are done in a “good enough” state. There’s the updating of the programs which might take four hours or three days. I don’t know yet. I’ll have to keep an eye on time as I work on them since it could become a huge time sink if I get off the path of “done is better than perfect”.Follow IRLXD: