I’ve already lost track, but I think I worked on getting the LEDs flatter and got back into TouchDesigner to relearn the system and start configuring for the new controller board. Grant tested the distance of the plexiglass and despite my flattening of the LED strips, there were still dark streaks. We decided to pull the plexiglass out another 3/8 inch or so to solve the issue.
Mickey was in today and worked on the ends of the LED strips. The Ram board we are using has been creating a lot of dust, which is not good for all the electronics or our respiratory system. We use it to keep from messing up the floors, so we should be able to remove it soon. I believe this was the day that Grant moved the room into its final position and locked it down a little more after I had worked on and decided approximate projector placement.
I cut and crimped a lot of wires and set up the fuse and junction blocks on the new panels. Mickey said he could do it Thursday, but I wanted to have as much done as possible in case we ran into issues Thursday. Not drilling through the mounted LED strips was a challenge, but I did it successfully. I also spent more time in TouchDesigner. Grant worked on getting the rails up for the plexiglass.
Grant made the frame for the projector fabric, which (after a week’s delay) was supposed to arrive today. Mickey was back today. I was glad that I did the mounting and wiring of a lot of stuff the previous day. We ran into issues and needed that saved time. Eventually we got all the hardware issues sorted, Mickey wrapped up and I stuck around a few more hours to sort the software side of the problem. I thought I had solved it and told everyone as much. Then I ran a slightly different pattern and realized it still needed adjustments (I hadn’t noticed because the pattern I thought showing it had passed had some symmetry, which resulted in a false positive.)
The Plan Ahead
Well the good news is, at first glance, it appears the new LEDs color match real well with the old. I wasn’t sure how I would solve that issue so glad it appears to be moot.
Fingers crossed that all goes well with the projector plexiglass and projector fabric. We’re stretching that fabric over a 6×8 area so who knows what could happen. Luckily, Grant is a man of a million talents and has stretched many canvases in his time.
So the biggest issues are:
- Projection screen + fabric up
- Plexiglass places in rails (and any pixelation of LEDS fixed)
- Getting the H-channels that run between the sheets to look good.
- Keeping the plexiglass from bowing out or inward. (this, to me, is the biggest challenge).
- Getting the projector set up and aligned
- Updating TD to match new dimensions.
- Updating all the Final Cut movies to match new dimensions
Other remaining issues
- Get good air circulation.
- Setup sound system.
- Sew and hang curtains.
- Fix benches
- Do something with the gift shop (which I might call exit room or something else)