Neither Grant nor Mickey were available today so I worked on the website and some other paperwork and planning type things. I also did some calendar work.
Mickey came down and helped out on the wiring all day. Grant had the day off. Mickey estimated another 6-8 hours to get the rest of the wiring done. He’s not available again until Tuesday so I have to think of something Grant can do in the meantime. The projection fabric won’t arrive until Thursday – a week late, which I’m not happy about since it will be hard to work on resizing programs until I have the screen up. I’ve done a good job of planning materials but labor is tricky. I don’t envy people who do construction management.
Against character, I decided to take the day off and do everything I could to not think at all about the Eureka Room. Every single night since I signed the lease I have woken up in the middle of the night having to use the bathroom. I knew this was psychosomatic, but couldn’t turn it off. I thought maybe if I gave my subconscious the day to process the old stuff without any new stuff then I could catch up and sleep through the night. It worked.
I went down to the room and hooked up the third of the original four panels. Iain was nice enough to help out and worked on putting the brackets on the second of the new boards. We have to use brackets to keep the LED strips from falling off. After Iain left, I did some repairs of the old boards where the LED strips needed new brackets.
I also tested the LEDs. I found about 2 out on each panel. I hadn’t caught them until just then because they only reveal the damage in certain circumstances. Since the lights are RGBW, that means there is a diode for each red, green, blue, and white. If you put on a solid blue and a blue light is broken, it shows up as not lit. This is hard to see because there are so many of them. But if you put on a purple, then it is more obvious because to get purple, the light has to use both red and blue diodes and since it doesn’t have blue it shows up as bright red in a field of purple. I hadn’t really thought about this until I started testing. I had to figure it out after the tests failed. We might be able to just cover those LEDs and no one will notice. It’s possible that they’ve been that way for a long time, actually. I’ll know more when we get the plexi up.